Addressing the Mental Health Crisis
Studies show nearly 1 in 5 (40 million) adults in America have a mental illness. That staggering number doesn’t even include the children who are suffering with mental health challenges. Approximately 16.3% of Hispanic adults are living with a mental health condition.
Even more concerning is the fact that the use of mental health services tends to be lower for non-white Americans. These groups tend to have less access to treatment, higher language barriers, a stigma towards mental health care, and lower rates of health insurance. According to Mental Health America, Texas ranks 39th, indicating higher prevalence of mental illness and lower rates of access to care.
According to NAMI, serious mental illness costs America $193.2 billion in lost earnings per year. Mood disorders, including major depression, dysthymic disorder, and bipolar disorder, are the third most common cause of hospitalization in the U.S. for both youth and adults aged 18 to 44. There is growing recognition that providing necessary treatment and services to people with mental illness brings a significant return on investment.
The good news is that every dollar spent on mental health programs results in $3-$5 billion in new economic contributions and years of healthy life.
Providing Counseling Services to Local Families Since 1892
The mission of Family Service of El Paso is to help improve the quality of family and individual life. As the largest mental health service agency in El Paso, we uniquely target our services to the poor and disadvantaged.
Family Service of El Paso is committed to eliminating barriers that prevent individuals and families from obtaining the counseling services they need. Our purpose is to create access to mental health services regardless of ability to pay.
Over 75% of our clients are low income (by HUD Section 8 guidelines) and 87% of our clients are Hispanic. To serve this population, we constantly strive to ensure our services are affordable, accessible, and culturally competent.
The purpose of Family Service is to create access to mental health services for anyone, regardless of ability to pay. We target our services to the poor and disadvantaged, although not everyone served at Family Service is poor or disadvantaged.
Our commitment to providing access to mental health services regardless of the individual’s ability to pay is focused on the following three areas:
- Expanding access to high-quality mental health counseling services to help underserved individuals and families get the treatment that they need to recover, thrive, and enhance their overall wellness
- Strengthening strategic partnerships by collaborating with local organizations that deliver complementary services, such as health care
- Developing the next generation of mental health professionals and increasing the number of providers in the El Paso border community, to address sizable shortages in its mental health workforce
We measure progress of our programs through the following metrics:
- Output: We annually measure our output by comparing it to the output of the prior year
- Outcomes: We measure our outcomes using the Outcomes Rating Scale. The scale allows us to measure clients’ weekly well-being and cumulative outcomes of the entire agency.
- Client Satisfaction: We requests clients complete the Family Service of El Paso Client Satisfaction Survey quarterly. This gives clients an opportunity to express their opinions about our services and to provide suggestions as to how we can improve.
Working Hand-in-Hand with Psychiatric Care Providers
Family Service of El Paso also provides affordable psychiatric care at our facilities through our partnership with Project Vida. Psychiatric care is scarce in our community, especially for lower-income clients. At Family Service, we are uniquely positioned to serve clients by offering therapists and prescribers under the same roof. This improves collaboration and provides better quality of care to our clients.
Family Service of El Paso is a private, non-profit social service agency governed by a volunteer board of directors. All proceeds and donations we receive go towards supporting the broader cause of providing access to mental health services at Family Service of El Paso. Our services are funded through a combination of the following sources:
- Insurance billing
- Fees collected from clients (according to their ability to pay)
Family Service of El Paso would like to invite you to join us in bringing help and healing to mental illness. Contact us to learn about how you can get involved.